Friday, January 28, 2005

Jahangirs Journey - V

I’m livid. More angry with myself than with Jahangir. How did I allow myself to be duped this way? How easily he fed me a few crumbs and snared my neck into a noose. Fine, no gain without pain and all that but to be made a fool of in this manner?

I get back to my cubby hole and think of ways and means of getting my revenge.

It’s not going to be easy tracking him down. As far as that goes, I’m back to square one. And this time he’s not going to be cuddled up in some bed in Srinagar with a screwed up leg.

But I need to get him ASAP.

Therefore, I decide to do something I’ve never done in my 12 years of CT ops in Nagaland, Kashmir, Sri Lanka or with the SAG.

I decide to pick up his sister(s) and thereby snare his neck into my noose.

It’s a very risky proposition and it can get me into very serious trouble but I’m beyond caring.

However, I’ll need to plan things out very, very carefully. I’m sure his sisters are going to be expecting trouble from me and will be taking prophylactic action. So, I’ll have to move fast and move well.

I call for Karan to brainstorm my plans with him and as we’re talking post dinner, working out various contingencies, Man Friday pops his head in and says, “Saab, ladies aayee hain aapse mine.”

F*** ! What’s this now? And who’s this now? And at this time????

I step out and find that this time Man F got his grammar right. My visitors are in the plural, as in there are two of them.

I also find that they are Zarina and Zubeida – beloved sisters of Mr J.

Jeez….think of the devil or rather, plan about lifting the devil’s sisters and here they are.

I’m totally nonplussed.

Before I can compose myself and ask them what they want, they enquire of me as to how I am.

“I’m alive” I growl “No thanks to that SOB you call a brother.”

“Thanks to him, you mean” pipes in Zubeida.

Huh ?

I ask her what she means.

And thence starts the story.

It seems, IF they are to be believed, that after my recent successes with the kills and caches and OGWs, the local HM cadre got suspicious and began sniffing around each butts, looking for a leak.

Finding none, they did a deeper internal audit and found out that Zarina had come to meet me. The finger of suspicion wheeled onto Jahangir but since he refuted it all, Zarina was picked up and tortured by them. She told them she’d come to meet me because I was threatening her and her sister. I had even gone to their school with the regular Army guys. So, she came to tell me not to bother their family.

Somehow, the HM swallowed it but were still looking a bit askance at Jahangir.

And therefore, to kill this issue once and for all, Jahangir engineered the plot to ‘kill’ me.

“You think if he wanted to kill you today, he couldn’t have?” asks Zarina. “The IED could have been detonated under the front of the bus. And you could have been shot while you were lying in the open.”

“Balls” was my response, though in Kashmiri, it comes out as something else.

“That’s the absolute truth” say both the sisters in unison, “And now we want you to keep your side of the bargain and help Jahangir to re-locate outside Kashmir. And we want the money.”

At the risk of sounding like a stuck gramophone record, “Balls” is my response to this too.

“You’ve got to believe us and you’ve got to help us” pleads Zarina.

I tell her that I do not believe their story and there’s no way I’m not going to kill their brother. Being taken for a ride once is all that I can handle.

Our arguments go on and on. They cry, yell, shriek, rave, rant, plead, beg.

That deaf adder fellow in the scriptures would have turned green with envy if he could see how oblivious I was to all their drama.

Realising a while later that this is going nowhere, the sisters reach into their hats and pull out a new deal.

“You give him 30 days. Within these 30 days, he will give you some mujahideen. You kill them. And after that, you give us the money and help us to move out of here.”

A guy called Janwillem Van De Wettring once said that greed is a fat demon with a small mouth and whatever you feed it is never enough.

I never knew the guy and never thought much about what he said. But now I realize he’s partially right and partially wrong. Greed does have an insatiable tum tum but it doesn’t have a small mouth. I can say that out of personal experience cos all 184 centimetres of me slipped through that orifice the moment I heard the proposition from the ladies.

“What do I have to lose?” I ask myself. “I give the 30 days lease of life and in case I get nothing, I can always put my plan into effect .” after that period.”

“What the f***?” another part of me pops up, “ What if they missed you the first time and are setting you up for a confirmed kill now? What if they are buying time to disappear? “

Jeez ! I hate these little fellows in my head when they’re not in consonance with each other.

Anyways, I go with Little Fellow A.

“It’s a deal.” I inform the femmes and they buzz off.

TO BE CONTINUED ......

7 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, February 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to Jahangir?

Mayaa

 
At 10:09 PM, March 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why r u keeping us in suspense? what happened to Jahangir?

 
At 10:36 PM, March 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any one home?

There has been no inputs from 29th :(

Mayaa

 
At 12:33 AM, March 10, 2005, Anonymous Mayaa said...

Won't we ever know what happened to Jahangir? :(

 
At 12:41 AM, March 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic... superb :)

n what happened to Jahangir? Hope you wont disappoint us....

Al_Ex

 
At 1:46 AM, March 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I just finished reading this chapter and I NEVER read a blog twice, but I plan on going back and re-reading every chapter in this blog at least twice to make sure I didn't miss anything in the first go-round.

keep up d good work Khalid :)

x_x

 
At 9:58 PM, April 19, 2005, Blogger Counter Insurgent said...

Mayaa, patience, please :p

thank yu readers, the next episode n the one after, are up n ready for the honour of ur perusal :+)

X_X, thank yu, it feels nice to know that someone can actually wanna go thru this more than once :+)

...Khalid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home