Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Jahangirs Journey - I

As we are rushing back from Srinagar, Jahangir and his sister Zarina safely ensconced in the back of Charlie’s gypsy, we discuss his future.

The old man in Srinagar has been politely, albeit very firmly, told to stay dad and keep mum. I’m pretty sure he and his family will do that. In any case, they have no clue about who we are. All they can say is that some faujis came and took away a militant. Big deal !!

So, in effect, nobody knows where Jahangir is. Therefore, we can either hand him over to the police or kill him. The latter is a no go, because you don’t kill a guy just like that. But giving him up to the cops has no use either. They’ll dump him in a cell and a year or two down the line; he’ll be out. Then, if he decides to go straight, the HM will kill him and if he gets back to his old tricks, we will.

Sigh ! Wish the guy had fought. We’d have knocked him off and wouldn’t have to worry like we’re doing now. The hassle essentially is Charlie’s. He went way out of line carrying out an op in Srinagar and regardless of the fact that he nabbed a militant, he’ll get his b*** chewed up by his CO and the Brigadier.

Anyways, I tell Charlie that we’ll keep Jahangir under wraps for a while. In any case, we need to squeeze information out of him. Hopefully, he’ll come clean ASAP. Else, we’ll need to make him talk.

Charlie asks me to keep him since he’s worried his CO will find out. But he also wants that he gets to act on all the actionable int that Jahangir spews out.

That’s understandable and acceptable.

But there’s still the biggest hassle : Zarina.

We can’t keep her. And the moment we leave her, she’ll raise a hue and cry with the cops and the press and the politicos that her brothers been illegally detained. She knows Charlie and therefore, he’ll be in thick s***.

Damn !!!! The guy did have a pistol on him. Why the f*** didn’t he use it when we barged in???????

Too many problems.

I make up my mind.

I ask Charlie to stop the Gypsy. It’s about 0330 hours and we’re about 40 klix outside Srinagar. An abs desolate stretch of road.

The vehicle stops. I jump out. Open the tail gate and yank Jahangir out.

I drag him off the road and getting him on his knees, I put my Beretta against his temple.

“Noooooooooooooo” yells Zarina.

I pull the trigger.

Zarina yells louder, as does Jahangir. I’ve fired a round into the ground.

I go back to the vehicle and sit at the back, opposite Zarina.

I tell her that I’ll have to kill her brother because he’s too dangerous to be left alive.

She’s a smart gal. I think she understood my predicament. But she isn’t sure whether I will kill him or not. It’s poker time.

I lay my cards on the table.

“Look. He attacked an army camp. Just for that, he cannot be allowed to live. But if he talks and gives me good information, I’ll let him live and hand him over to the cops. However, if he doesn’t talk, he vanishes.”

Her turn to play.

“You can’t hold him. It’s illegal.”

I laugh, hoping like hell that it sounds normal. “As if I care” I tell her “Nobody knows he’s with me. And who’ll believe you?”

She keeps quiet.

Round 1 is a draw. At least I think so.

We continue our journey and Charlie drops me off near my hidey hole. Zarina struggles to get off with her brother but Charlie drives off with her.

Karan and the Ikhwan take our guest and show him his lodgings – my good old cattle shed.

I’m not happy. I think Zarina is going to talk. I don’t have much time to make Mr Jahangir open his beak. Might as well get cracking on it.

But tea and breakfast first.

“Charlie for Khalid.”

Now what?

“Go ahead.”

“Charlie for Khalid, Zulu dropped off near the village. Am heading home.”

“Roger, out.”

The count down has begun.

TO BE CONTINUED ......

7 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, January 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did Jahangir tok?? gawd ...this is so gripping.. i literally chewed all my mails ....

 
At 2:01 AM, January 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that was nails... typo...

 
At 11:08 PM, March 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God give me patience.. i wanted to jump to last of Jahangir's journey but wont...

guess u got one more die-hard fan in me

x_x

 
At 8:19 PM, April 19, 2005, Blogger Counter Insurgent said...

Anon. lolz ! thank u :+)

X_X, patience my friend, patience..a journey must follow a particular route, no? :+)

 
At 1:45 AM, April 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

must say .. very well writen ,,, keep it going ... love ta read more and more

 
At 1:35 AM, May 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gripping. send it to quentin tarantino, mebbe you'll say thanks to me from the oscar podium. :))) Anks.

 
At 4:27 AM, October 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

pls continue the story. its so gripping!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home